Back Pain Physical Therapists
Physical therapy for back pain, especially lower back pain, is available at your nearby Brooklyn physical therapy practice. Don’t let debilitating pain keep you from working and enjoying your life to the fullest. Our back pain specialists offer a targeted, hands on approach to decrease your pain, increase your range of motion using the most advanced physical therapy for lower back pain.
Physical therapy exercises for lower back pain, considered recovery in motion, can resolve your pain without surgery. But physical therapy today is much more than just doing exercises.
For many sufferers, back pain stems from a lifestyle dominated by sitting too much. Gravity compresses the spine where nerve endings get compromised. Sitting most of the day — during your commute, at your desk at work and even when you get home — compounds the damage caused by gravity. Sitting simply puts more stress on the muscles and discs in your back.
Slouching stretches your spinal ligaments, which increases the strain on your spinal discs. But there are many other reasons for your back pain, including:
- A herniated disk. Often an age-related or sports injury, herniation is when a vertebral disc ruptures. It’s very painful and often requires surgery to repair.
- Kidney infection. Your kidneys are located in your lower back, so the pain from an infection emanates from that location.
- Obesity. Added weight in your stomach area pulls your pelvis forward, causing anterior pelvic tilt. This unnatural curving of the spine can lead to a host of issues.
- Poor posture. Constant slouching can cause the same damage as being overweight.
- Pregnancy. The extra weight of your baby puts extra stress on your spine. Unless you find a new balance and stretch, you’ll end up in pain
- Sciatica. Your sciatic nerve travels from your lower back, through your hips and buttocks, down each leg. You feel pain if this nerve is compromised.
- Ankylosing spondylitis. This inflammatory disease affects the vertebrae in your spine. Over time, this disease causes the vertebrae in your spine to fuse together.
- Endometriosis. This ailment occurs in women, when their uterine tissue attaches to other organs in their body. Endometrial cells can stick to your lower back, and that causes back pain.
- Fibromyalgia. This disorder causes widespread musculoskeletal pain. Women are more prone to develop fibromyalgia than men.
- Spinal stenosis. When the space within your spine narrows, it puts pressure on the nerves that travel through your spine, causing pain.
How Physical Therapy Eases Back Pain
Whether you’re trying to avoid surgery for your back pain or looking to recover after an operation, physical therapy for lower back pain in Brooklyn at your local physical therapy practice is a recommended treatment option.
The goal of physical therapy is to decrease your pain, increase your range of motion and inform you about the causes of pain to prevent them from happening again. Countering years of bad habits takes a comprehensive, individualized care plan, which physical therapy for lower back pain offers.
Your physical therapist takes measurements of your range of motion and determines what movements cause pain. While these initial tests may be painful, they’re beneficial in the long run. They point to what exercises you’re able to do and what type of lower back physical therapy treatments you need.
As you regain your strength, you may get different physical therapy exercises and back pain treatments. It’s a process. As your pain decreases and you feel better, you’re given additional, slightly more difficult exercises to do as part of your back pain rehabilitation plan.
Types of Physical Therapy Treatment
Spinal Manipulation Manual Therapy in Brooklyn NYC is much more than exercises for back pain. It’s also much more than chiropractic adjustment or massage.
While physical therapy back exercises — including hip circles, knees to chest, windshield wipers, bodyweight squats and walking — help you strengthen your back and teach you proper form, your Brooklyn physical therapist supplements your program with other pain-relieving options such as targeted and hands on physical therapy for back pain.
Other types of Physical Therapy in Brooklyn are:
- Spinal decompression. Decompression separates the bones, joints and discs of your back. You’re put into a traction device that stretches you, using an appropriate amount of resistance.
- Spinal and joint manipulation. For this type of orthopedic manipulation, your physical therapist mobilizes your joints to the degree needed for pain relief. During this process, you may hear a sound from your bones as they’re manipulated. It’s a welcome sound that signals a decrease in pain.
- Laser therapy. During this treatment, your physical therapist uses a handheld laser device to treat your back pain. It’s especially effective for pain caused by injured muscles or bones, as it aids the healing process.
Contact TRI Physical Therapy for effective physical therapy exercises and treatments for your back pain. Get out of pain and learn how to keep it from returning.
Do you have any questions about back pain treatments and physical therapy for lower back pain we offer in Brooklyn? Would you like to schedule an appointment with the back pain specialists at TRi Physical Therapy? Please contact our office for consultation with our back physical therapists.